- 100th anniversary of momentous discovery of Tutankhamun's Tomb
- Design rendered from official photograph
- Meticulous applications of colour
- 1oz of 99.99% pure gold
- flawless proof quality
- $100 Legal Tender of Australia
- 31.107 grams
- Maximum Diameter (mm) 32.60
- Maximum Thickness (mm) 2.95
- Maximum Mintage 250
- Designer: Natasha Muhl
It is now 100 years since archaeologist Howard Carter discovered Tutankhamun’s 3,500-year-old tomb in virtually untouched condition. The young pharaoh and the spectacular treasures he was buried with became a worldwide sensation which to this day remain sources of intense fascination. Probably no other artefact epitomizes King Tut in the public imagination as his solid gold death mask.
The coin’s portrayal of Tutankhamun’s iconic death mask is rendered from an official photograph. The image, which features applications of colour representing its famous glass paste inlays, is surrounded by the inscription ‘TUTANKHAMUN 100 YEARS’, hieroglyphs, a cartouche, and The Perth Mint’s ‘P’ mintmark.